Raby is without doubt one of the most impressive intact castles in England. Situated in the foothills of the Durham Dales, it was built in the 14th century by the powerful Nevill family. Throughout its long history, it was the home of Cicely Nevill, Rose of Raby, mother of Kings Edward IV and Richard III, scene of the plotting of the Rising of the North and a Parliamentary stronghold during the Civil War. Since 1626 to the present day it has been the seat of Lord & Lady Barnard and the Vane family.
Along with exploring the picturesque gardens and parkland with resident Red and Fallow deer, a visit is incomplete without a tour inside the castle itself. Raby houses a fabulous art collection and sumptuous interiors. Treasures include an important collection of Meissen porcelain, tapestries, furniture, furnishings and paintings.
Your group can enjoy discovering the fascinating history of the Castle and those who lived here during a guided tour with one of our friendly and knowledgeable guides. Then make time to explore the 18th century walled gardens, 200 acre deer park, carriage collection and enjoy the gift shop and tearooms.
If you are travelling with a group of 12 or more people, book your visit in advance and receive the following benefits to make your group visit as easy and stress-free as possible including:
• Discounted admission rates
• Ample coach parking
• Complimentary admission for organiser and coach driver
• Complimentary refreshment voucher for coach driver
• Coach drop-off and pick-up point at the Castle entrance
• Complimentary map of the Park & gardens for each person
• Meet and greet on arrival by a Castle guide
• Familiarisation visits can be arranged for group organisers and members of the trade prior to group travel
General Group Admission
£10.00 per person (min 12 people)
Private Guided Tours , £12.00 per person. Your guide will meet your group at the Castle entrance before beginning this private tour of the Castle. A guided tour will last approximately 90 minutes and can be included in the price of your group visit. Minimum group size of 12 (or minimum charge applies). Available April to October, Tuesday to Friday at 10.00 and 14:00. You can add a reception of tea/coffee and cake in the Castle’s Entrance Hall on the 10:00. Tour for an additional £5 per person.
Extended Private Tours , £20.00 per person. Your guide will meet your group at the Castle entrance before beginning this Extended Private Tour of the Castle. The group will then be taken via staff corridors and staircases not normally accessible to the public to view many of the impressive rooms. Every ‘extended private tour’ guide has a wealth of knowledge about the Castle and will be happy to answer any questions you might have and will of course furnish you with interesting facts and insights into how life at the Castle would have been. A guided tour will last approximately 120 minutes. Minimum group size of 12 (or minimum charge applies). Available April to October, Tuesday to Friday at 10.00 and 14.00. You can add a reception of tea/coffee and cake in the Castle’s Entrance Hall on the 10am Tour for an additional £5 per person.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Free/Discounted Meals for Tour Guide
- Group Discounts Available
- Groups: Lunch Catered For - Dietary requirements catered for
- Groups: Refreshments Catered For
Parking & Transport
- Coach Drop Off / Pick Up Point
- Coach Parking Onsite
- Groups: Max Group Size - 100
- Groups: Meet and Greet Services
- Groups: Min Group Size - 12
Travel & Trade
- Groups: Average Length of Visit - 4 hours.
- Groups: Booking Essential
- Groups: Concessions for Coach Driver, Group Organiser, Tour Guide or Group Supervisor(s)
- Groups: Discounts Available
|Walled Garden from 10:00 (1 Mar 2020 - 31 Oct 2020)|
|Castle July - Aug (1 July 2020 - 31 Aug 2020)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||Open|
|Park Open daily from 10:00 (1 July 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Castle September (1 Sept 2020 - 30 Sept 2020)|
|Wednesday - Sunday||Open|
|Castle April - Jun (1 Apr 2021 - 30 June 2021)|
|Wednesday - Sunday||Open|
* General Opening Text