Refurbished in 2016, Killhope is a multi award winning Victorian lead mining museum offering a great day out for the family. Guided mine tours, working water wheel, original machinery, exhibitions, workshops, family events, performances, stunning scenery, Yurt hires, shop and cafe.
Special events take place throughout the year with normal admission prices applying. Check the website for details.
Although we are called a museum we are essentially an outdoor experience. There are indoor exhibitions to view in the Visitor Centre and buildings to explore but the highlight of a visit is our underground mine trip. The site is an authentic restored lead mine so we have the Armstrong Wheel and an array of buildings. We also have the washing floor where visitors can look for lead ore and minerals using techniques used by washer boys.
We have a new squirrel hide; a bird hide; an observatory and our yurts for overnight stays. You can enjoy scenic walks around our ponds and through our woodlands.
We are used to working with groups and designing a visit to suit anyone’s needs, we particularly hope to encourage and welcome our visiting coach parties.
2019 Group Rates
Site access only £5 per person, Site Access and underground trip £8 per person, Special VIP offer – site access; underground trip and surface tour £15 per person
- Access Statement - Most of the site is accessible to wheelchairs but is very steep on the walks to the reservoir. The paths are gravel and there are routes to buildings in order to avoid steps. The woodland path is not accessible by wheel chair.
- Groups: Lunch Catered For - Please contact cafe in advance with any specific requirements. Gluten free products are available.
- Groups: Refreshments Catered For
- Out of Hours Visits
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Onsite - FREE
Travel & Trade
- Groups: Concessions for Coach Driver, Group Organiser, Tour Guide or Group Supervisor(s)
- Groups: Discounts Available
|2019 (1 Apr 2019 - 3 Nov 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:30||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:30||- 17:00|
* Now closed from 28 Oct until 1st April 2019
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A69. Take the A689 road, Killhope is situated between Alston and Stanhope.
Public Transport Directions
Traveline 0871 200 22 33 for general transport information. Weardale Motor Services run a regular bus service through Weardale. Normally this terminates at Cowshill, 2.5 miles east of Killhope, but certain summer services will run to Killhope by request. Please contact Weardale Motor Services for details and booking tel: 01388 528235 for details. If you arrive by this bus we'll give you a 10% 'Green Discount' on your entry fee! If you come on your bike you'll get a 10% 'Green admission discount' Look out for the roof of england Sunday bus through out the summer 2013 season