Explore Ancient Egypt and Western Asia, the Himalayas, China, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia all in one museum.
The Oriental Museum is devoted to the art and archaeology of the great cultures of North Africa and Asia. Objects on display range in date from prehistoric to contemporary art works. Visitors can see ancient Egyptian mummies, Chinese porcelain created for the imperial court, Japanese woodblock prints and head-hunting swords from Borneo.
The museum is laid out geographically so you can focus on one area or range across whole continents. Activities for families spread throughout the museum including dressing up, colouring, games and puzzles. We also have regularly changing themed trails around the museum aimed at different age groups from Under 5s to adults. The galleries have plenty of seating areas and the museum is fully accessible.
In addition to our permanent galleries the museum hosts a regularly changing programme of special exhibitions related to the collections together with talks, art workshops and special evening events.
Check out our website to find out more ->http://www.dur.ac.uk/oriental.museum
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Highly Commended 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2015
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good85
- Geoffrey KDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesHeritage open dayTuesday, 6th November 2018Visited during heritage open day, very enjoyable and lots of history set out into different countries and times, lots of finds and items to see and touch Toilets and refreshments available and some... Read full review
- 963Dave_CDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesOriental TreasureTuesday, 6th November 2018This smallish museum is a must for anyone even remotely interested in the East and Ancient Egypt. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Very small entrance fee. Excellent Egyptian room, we even took home a... Read full review
- Chris WManchesterTrip Type:Solo travelLovely little museumTuesday, 13th November 2018The oriental museum houses the University's collection of art and antiquities from Asia and North Africa. It is a fair walk from the city centre but well worth it. The building is arranged... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
|Open (5 Jan 2018 - 23 Dec 2018)|
|Monday - Friday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||12:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 17:00|
* Closed during Christmas period.