Explore Ancient Egypt and Western Asia, the Himalayas, China, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia all in one museum.
The Oriental Museum is devoted to the art and archaeology of the great cultures of North Africa and Asia. Objects on display range in date from prehistoric to contemporary art works. Visitors can see ancient Egyptian mummies, Chinese porcelain created for the imperial court, Japanese woodblock prints and head-hunting swords from Borneo.
The museum is laid out geographically so you can focus on one area or range across whole continents. Activities for families spread throughout the museum including dressing up, colouring, games and puzzles. We also have regularly changing themed trails around the museum aimed at different age groups from Under 5s to adults. The galleries have plenty of seating areas and the museum is fully accessible.
In addition to our permanent galleries the museum hosts a regularly changing programme of special exhibitions related to the collections together with talks, art workshops and special evening events.
Check out our website to find out more ->http://www.dur.ac.uk/oriental.museum
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Highly Commended 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2015
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Groups: Lunch Catered For - On site cafe- dietary requirements catered for
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Offsite - Use Howlands Park & Ride
|2019 (5 Jan 2019 - 23 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Friday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Saturday - Sunday||12:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||12:00||- 17:00|
* Closed during Christmas period.