Don't miss all that the Botanic Garden has to offer, with attractions that appeal to young and old alike. Wander through the Alpine Garden, Winter Garden, Bamboo Grove and the Woodland Garden and wild flower meadow. Many places are available to just sit and muse, view the Modern Art or watch the bees in action in their hive.
There are wonderful glass houses, where you can walk through the desert house to see the collection of cacti that thrive in this arid climate, or the tropical rainforest to see and feel what it is like to be in such an environment, you can even make it rain! This contains a unique collection of plants and just beyond see some of its indigenous inhabitants, bugs, scorpions and tarantulas! There is even a rare breed of Manx Loghtan sheep that can be seen enjoying the parkland in spring.
One visit isn't enough, the views changing throughout the year with vibrant poppy and cornflower displays in the summer to rich warm colours in the autumn, all this in 18 acres of parkland, just minutes from Durham city centre.
Treat yourself to something refreshing in the coffee shop and visit the gift shop to take away memories of your visit.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2015
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Group Discounts Available
- Groups: Lunch Catered For
- Groups: Refreshments Catered For
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Onsite
Travel & Trade
- Groups: Booking Essential
- Groups: Discounts Available
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Open Nov-Feb, daily, 1000-1600. The Garden is closed during the Christmas and New Year period.