Built in the Norman period as an imposing fortress, Durham Castle’s story is entwined with that of the Prince-Bishops of Durham, whose semi-regal status made them some of the most powerful and wealthy men in the country. Discover a castle that gradually turned into a lavish palace, which was affected by major historical events from the Reformation to the English Civil War and how it was transformed in the Victorian period into a place of learning, as the home of University College, the founding college of Durham University.
Today Durham Castle remains a living building, evolving to modern day life while retaining its power to impress as part of the iconic Durham skyline.
Guided tour times vary, contact Palace Green Library for more details, telephone 0191 334 2932 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good360
- bill578Hartlepool, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesThe castleWednesday, 16th January 2019This is another must see attraction take a guided tour as its very informative.The wife and i really enjoyed it steeped in history. Read full review
- dog_walking_mumGreater London, United KingdomInteresting castle tourThursday, 17th January 2019Book in advance for a tour of the historic castle. The tour takes about an hour and is quite leisurely. Our guide was knowledgeable and happy to answer questions. Read full review
- Passenger802811UKTrip Type:CouplesDURHAM CASTLEMonday, 21st January 2019Durham Castle, full of history and well worth a visit. Take a guided tour of the Castle and enjoy the history of the place Read full review
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Individuals - Entrance by guided tour only.
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Durham Castle is a working building, so it is sometimes necessary to cancel tours due to University or commercial activities. Please check our website for any changes to the following times:
During University Term:
13.15, 14.15, 15.15, 16.15
Outside University Term:
10.15, 11.15, 12.15, 14.15, 15.15, 16.15
Closed between Christmas and New Year and during Congregation (Durham’s Graduation ceremony).