Built in the Norman period as an imposing fortress, Durham Castle’s story is entwined with that of the Prince-Bishops of Durham, whose semi-regal status made them some of the most powerful and wealthy men in the country. Discover a castle that gradually turned into a lavish palace, which was affected by major historical events from the Reformation to the English Civil War and how it was transformed in the Victorian period into a place of learning, as the home of University College, the founding college of Durham University.
Today Durham Castle remains a living building, evolving to modern day life while retaining its power to impress as part of the iconic Durham skyline.
Guided tour times vary, contact Palace Green Library for more details, telephone 0191 334 2932 or email email@example.com
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good365
- marksw3960London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGuided TourWednesday, 13th March 2019It's a working building still so a guided tour is the only way to see Durham Castle. This tour might have converted me to the idea as it was interesting, informative and definitely imparted knowledge... Read full review
- BruceTheSheepGlossop, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesInteresting siteMonday, 18th March 2019You can only visit the castle by booking on a guided tour. However the guide was pretty good and you get time to look at each of the rooms you visit. There is plenty of historical detail provided so... Read full review
- David WChesterfield, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDurham CastleFriday, 22nd March 2019Great place to visit. You can only do so by taking a tour as it is still a College, but our guide, Chris was great and very entertaining with his historical knowledge. Read full review
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Individuals - Entrance by guided tour only.
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Durham Castle is a working building, so it is sometimes necessary to cancel tours due to University or commercial activities. Please check our website for any changes to the following times:
During University Term:
13.15, 14.15, 15.15, 16.15
Outside University Term:
10.15, 11.15, 12.15, 14.15, 15.15, 16.15
Closed between Christmas and New Year and during Congregation (Durham’s Graduation ceremony).