Built in the Norman period as an imposing fortress, Durham Castle’s story is entwined with that of the Prince-Bishops of Durham, whose semi-regal status made them some of the most powerful and wealthy men in the country. Discover a castle that gradually turned into a lavish palace, which was affected by major historical events from the Reformation to the English Civil War and how it was transformed in the Victorian period into a place of learning, as the home of University College, the founding college of Durham University.
Today Durham Castle remains a living building, evolving to modern day life while retaining its power to impress as part of the iconic Durham skyline.
Guided tour times vary, contact Palace Green Library for more details, telephone 0191 334 2932 or email email@example.com
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good354
- MinicooperdogsNantwichTrip Type:CouplesTour groups onlyTuesday, 13th November 2018We were very disappointed as we could only go in as part of a tour that we did not want. We did visit the cafe there however which was great. Read full review
- Gary STrip Type:Solo travelPart of Durham's historic district...Wednesday, 14th November 2018The castle, the cathedral and the university sort of meld into the core of Durham's historic heritage site. The castle, of course, was interesting and you enter with a timed guide. Arrangements... Read full review
- SaraBourqueTowanda, IllinoisTrip Type:Solo travelGuided TourWednesday, 14th November 2018I enjoyed the guided tour, which showed the courtyard, the Norman chapel, a different chapel, a gallery, a fancy staircase, and the ballroom. I suppose I thought that the tour would include more... Read full review
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Individuals - Entrance by guided tour only.
|Open (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Durham Castle is a working building, so it is sometimes necessary to cancel tours due to University or commercial activities. Please check our website for any changes to the following times:
During University Term:
13.15, 14.15, 15.15, 16.15
Outside University Term:
10.15, 11.15, 12.15, 14.15, 15.15, 16.15
Closed between Christmas and New Year and during Congregation (Durham’s Graduation ceremony).