Overview and About Us: Owl Cottage is a fabulously quaint and extremely cosy 1 bed traditional dales cottage situated on the edge of Middleton-in-Teesdale, in the Durham Dales, a quiet and peaceful Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 10 miles from Barnard Castle.
Owl Cottage is the perfect get away for up to 2 adults, plus 1 dog. It boasts character and charm, providing a warm and welcoming country retreat in the very heart of Teesdale. Featuring an open plan living room with a magnificent multi-fuel burning stove to cosy up in front of and a small but extremely functional kitchen and dining area on the ground floor, the spacious bedroom with sumptuous super-king size bed enjoys stunning views of the dale and is complemented by a modern bathroom. These all combined provide an ideal cottage for couples wishing to get away and escape the hussle and bussle of everyday life and enjoy this friendly, slow paced part of the North East.
Location and Local Amenities: Nestling by the banks of the River Tees this pretty North Pennine village Middleton-in-Teesdale, offers village life at its very best. Boosting an excellent choice of local pubs/restaurants, an excellent range of shops including a Co-op, chemist, butchers, hardware store, award winning Fish and Chip shop, pizza shop, antique shop, artisan craft shop and 3 cafes to choose from, all within a short walk from Owl Cottage, plus they are all dog friendly too.
Local Things to See and Do: For the more energetic, the superb surrounding countryside boasts great walking opportunities direct from the doorstep with nearby woodland paths along the river offering an opportunity to walk further and explore high open moorland, enjoy much of the local wildlife, and deer will often be seen in the woods. A short drive from Middleton-in-Teesdale, there is plenty to see and do including Medieval Raby Castle with its deer park and Gardens; Star Gazing at Grassholme Observatory; The Bowes Museum; High Force Waterfall; Gibson’s Cave; Cauldron Snout Waterfall; Eggleston Hall, Hamsterley Forest and Paddleboarding on Grassholme Reservior,. A 10 minute drive is the nearby market town of Barnard Castle, with its cobbled streets and quaint lanes, offers a full range of independent shops including many antique shops which attracts visitors all year round.
Further Afield Things To See and Do: In 30 minutes you're in Durham City, one of the best cities in the World. Explore the Castle and Cathedral a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Step back in time with a visit to the world famous Beamish Open Air Museum depicting North East life between 1820 and 1950.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Owl Cottage||£287.00 per unit per week|
*3 night short breaks commencing Friday or Monday available from £201 to £318
4 nights breaks commencing Monday
- Regional and Miscellaneous Dark Sky Friendly Durham 2019
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous Quality in Tourism Safe Clean Legal 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good2
- lonsdalek52Colne, United KingdomWonderfulFriday, 29th June 2018Stayed in this delightful cosy cottage for a week and it is extremely clean and comfortable and has everything you need. The hosts are lovely and left a bottle of wine for us on our arrival which... Read full review
- BusinessTraveller760Leeds, United KingdomCosy, dog friendly little place with a heap of love from the ownersTuesday, 15th October 2019We stayed for 3 nights in October and had the most wonderful time. The cottage is cosy, with one real fire heating the whole place. The weather was terrible during our stay (it didn't stop raining... Read full review
- helenandrichardfThurstonfield, United KingdomPerfect peace at beautiful Owl CottageSunday, 1st March 2020We spent 3 nights in Owl Cottage in the amazing Durham Dales. From the moment we set foot in the cottage we were immediately relaxed as this little place has such a feeling of calm about it. The... Read full review
- Contactless check-in
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Online booking possible
- Open now
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - roadside parking for 1 car
- MasterCard accepted
- Midweek breaks
- Visa accepted
- Weekend breaks
- Garden/patio for guests use
- Linen provided - bed linen and towels provided
- Pets accepted - 1 well behaved dog welcome
- Film or TV location - The BAFTA award winning film 1917 directed by Sam Mendes was filmed at Low Force and also the Tees Barrage in Stockton on Tees.
- In countryside
- WiFi Available - free unlimited wiFi
- Marketed to any other specialist market - Dark Sky Friendly Accommodation - we now provide the equipment (as detailed below) for guests who have an avid interest in the stargazing and the night sky. Please ask at time of booking. Equipment available - binoculars, tripod, red light head torches, blankets, camping chairs, flask for hot drinks.
- Special provisions for walkers - Washer/drying facilities provided with sheila maid above the fire. Spare walking poles provided, together with maps and an abundance of local walks
- Walkers Welcome
|Open New Year|
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Off peak 3 day short breaks available, starting Friday or Monday.