Overview and About Us: Owl Cottage is a fabulously quaint and extremely cosy 1 bed traditional dales cottage situated on the edge of Middleton-in-Teesdale, in the Durham Dales, a quiet and peaceful Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 10 miles from Barnard Castle.
Owl Cottage is your perfect romantic getaway for up to 2 adults, plus 1 dog. It boasts character and charm, providing a warm and welcoming country retreat in the very heart of Teesdale. Featuring an open plan living room with a magnificent multi-fuel burning stove to cosy up in front of and a small but extremely functional kitchen and dining area on the ground floor, the spacious bedroom with sumptuous super-king size bed enjoys stunning views of the dale and is complemented by a modern bathroom. These all combined provide an ideal cottage for couples wishing to escape the hussle and bussle of everyday life and enjoy this friendly, slow paced part of the North East.
Location and Local Amenities: Nestling by the banks of the River Tees this pretty North Pennine village, Middleton-in-Teesdale, offers village life at its very best. Boasting an excellent choice of pubs/restaurants serving exquisite locally sourced produce, an excellent range of shops including a Co-op, chemist, butchers, hardware store, award winning Fish and Chip shop, pizza shop, antique shop, artisan craft shop and 3 tea rooms, all within a short stroll from Owl Cottage, which are all dog friendly too.
Local Things to See and Do: For the lovers of the outdoors, the superb surrounding countryside boasts great walking opportunities direct from the doorstep with nearby woodland paths along the river offering an opportunity to walk further and explore high open moorland, enjoy much of the local wildlife, and deer which will often be seen in the woods. A short drive from Middleton-in-Teesdale, there is plenty to see and do including Medieval Raby Castle with its deer park, Gardens and tea room; Star Gazing at Grassholme Observatory; The Bowes Museum; High Force Waterfall, Britains highest waterfall; Gibson’s Cave; Cauldron Snout Waterfall; Hamsterley Forest and Paddleboarding on Grassholme Reservior,. A 10 minute drive is the nearby market town of Barnard Castle, with its cobbled streets and quaint lanes, offering a full range of independent shops including many antique shops which attracts visitors all year round.
Further Afield Things To See and Do: In 30 minutes you're in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Durham City, one of the best cities in the World. Explore the Castle and Cathedral. Step back in time with a visit to the world famous Beamish Open Air Museum depicting North East life between 1820 through to 1950.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Owl Cottage||£336.00 per unit per week|
*3 night short breaks commencing Friday or Monday available from £220
4 nights breaks commencing Monday from £269
- Regional and Miscellaneous Dark Sky Friendly Durham 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous Quality in Tourism Safe Clean Legal 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- All linens sanitized in high-temperature wash
- Capacity limit - 2 Adults max
- Contactless check-in
- Contactless check-out
- Contactless payment only
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Individually wrapped toiletries
- Online booking only
- Open now
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - roadside parking for 1 car
- MasterCard accepted
- Midweek breaks
- Visa accepted
- Weekend breaks
- Garden/patio for guests use - Front South facing patio area only (no garden)
- Linen provided - bed linen and towels provided
- Pets accepted - 1 well behaved dog only
- Film or TV location - The BAFTA award winning film 1917 directed by Sam Mendes was filmed at Low Force and also the Tees Barrage in Stockton on Tees.
- In countryside
- WiFi Available - free unlimited wiFi
- Cyclists Welcome
- Marketed to any other specialist market - Dark Sky Friendly Accommodation - we now provide the equipment (as detailed below) for guests who have an avid interest in the stargazing and the night sky. Please ask at time of booking. Equipment available - binoculars, tripod, red light head torches, blankets, camping chairs, flask for hot drinks.
- Special provisions for walkers - Washer/drying facilities provided with sheila maid above the fire. Spare walking poles provided, together with maps and an abundance of local walks
- Walkers Welcome
|Open New Year|
|2022 (1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022)|
* Off peak 3 day short breaks available, starting Friday or Monday.