Overview and About Us
Gary and Helen are a husband and wife team who have together travelled extensively over the years. The general aim of their trips away was to relax, unwind and get away from the general humdrum of daily life, but all too frequently, their experiences fell far short of their expectations and they would return home not only feeling more tired, but irritated by the lack of high quality service and poor accommodation.
Once home, Gary and Helen would find themselves relaxing and feeling blessed by their own home surroundings. They had invested heavily in their luxury bed and showering facilities and as a qualified Chef Helen could easily rustle up a satisfying meal for them both. After so many disappointing stays away, it wasn't long before they reached the conclusion that they were already on holiday at home. This conclusion inspired Gary and Helen's thinking and the vision for Millstone House B&B was born. They dreamt about building their own bespoke bed and breakfast and couldn't think of anywhere better than to build it in Staindrop, where they had lived for more than 16 years.
Gary and Helen project managed the building of Millstone House to their own specifications and design based on their mission that service and every detail matters. They have been running Millstone House since late 2018 and have developed the ability to stand in the shoes of their guests. They have created a high end, luxury B&B where guests can really feel at home. With large comfortable super-king sized beds, fabulous ensuite facilities and a fantastic selection of cooked breakfast options to easily satisfy even the most discerning tastes.
Millstone House has a tranquil and relaxing environment, where guests find it easy to unwind. Gary and Helen really care about the guest experience and to them service and every detail really does matter. Incorporating a process of continuous review into their everyday practices, they seek out the views and opinions of their guests and make changes to enhance the overall guest experience.
Guest reviews and other forms of feedback have all been very encouraging and Gary and Helen are delighted that Millstone House B&B received a Silver Award in the North East England Tourism Awards 2020 for B&B of the Year. They are also very proud to have been selected as finalists in this years Teesdale Awards in the Best New Business category.
Location and Local Amenities
Staindrop has its own village café and restaurant on the front street. There are plenty of local pubs and restaurants to choose from and a couple of fining dining establishments including The Raby Hunt - the first and only two-star Michelin Restaurant in Summerhouse (book early to avoid disappointment).
Delve further into the county’s past at amazing attractions including Beamish Museum and Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon in the Vale of Durham, and Killhope in the Durham Dales. And if you’re a culture vulture then seek out the fantastic fine and decorative art collections inside The Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle. We are also ideally located for visiting fantastic local attractions like Kynren (June-Sept), Locomotion at Shildon, Beamish - the Living Museum of the North, and also events at Raby Castle, The Witham in Barnard Castle and The Scarth Hall in Staindrop.
If you prefer the outdoors then you’ll find breathtaking views and walking and cycling routes galore amongst Durham’s stunning countryside and coastal areas. Explore the Durham Dales and North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty – a picture-perfect landscape of moors, hills, valleys and rivers – and home to High Force – one of England’s most impressive waterfalls. Or pack your hiking boots and head to the Durham Coast for dramatic sea views along the coastal footpath.
Millstone House can be used as a great base for visiting an array of amazing places further afield including places like the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District, the east coast and York. If you fancy some retail therapy then the Metrocentre in Gateshead is less than an hours drive away.
The Village of Staindrop dates from 1030AD. Staindrop’s past prosperity can be seen in the imposing buildings around the greens. Most are from the 17th and 18th centuries. Staindrop was a busy place in past centuries, with many traders and craftsmen. In 1856 there were nine public houses – open all day! Today, there is only one surviving public house in Staindrop serving drinks only to locals and visitors alike. The history of Staindrop is closely interwoven with that of nearby Raby Castle and its owners, the Neville and Vane families. The Saxon Church of St Gregory forms the nave of the present St Mary’s Church.
Food and Drink
Millstone House hospitality extends to the provision of a range of speciality teas and selection of Nespresso Coffee pods 24/7. Gary and Helen extend a warm welcome to guests and provide homemade cakes/biscuits upon their arrival.
We love good food and pride ourselves on serving a hearty and delicious breakfast created from the freshest produce. Breakfast is skillfully prepared/supervised by Helen, a professionally qualified Chef and is served in our beautiful Breakfast Room at your individual table between 8.00am-9.30am. If you are having a cooked breakfast, we kindly ask that you choose from the breakfast menu the evening before so that we are able to prepare exactly what you want at the time you want from the full list of delicious options. This helps enormously towards their aims to reduce waste of high-quality fresh produce. Breakfast is included in the price of your stay.
Millstone House offers three large luxury bedrooms, en-suite facilities, TV, free WIFI, hairdryer, luxury toiletries, bathrobes, super king beds and high quality mattresses with hypoallergenic bedding.
Breakfast... WOW...fruit, yogurt, croissants, pastries and an amazing choice of cooked breakfasts. There is plenty to do in the area, we visited beautiful Barnard Castle, spectacular High Force Waterfall and the fascinating Raby Castle which is a walk or bike ride away from Millstone House. Don't hesitate to book, you will not be disappointed!
Eleanor and Phil - Doncaster
The house is beautiful, surrounded by far reaching views, terraces, large beds, beautiful bathrooms. Breakfast is Michelin Star quality. The hosts are just to very kind, warm and friendly. It is a stunning place. Facilities for drinks, snacks are excellent. We arrived to break a journey for a night and stayed three. We look forward to returning!
Simon and Phillipa – Saltburn by the Sea
You can read other guest comments here.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double En-Suite||£98.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Bed & Breakfast/Guest Accommodation of the Year Award Silver 2020
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020 2020
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2020
- Very Good0
- jasondh90Luxury experienceSaturday, 12th September 2020We had a wonderful two nights stay at Millstone House B&B. The location is very tranquil with bedroom views over green fields. The owners Gary and Helen have thought of every detail and were very... Read full review
- BarbshortAmazing standards and hospitality.Tuesday, 15th September 2020Stayed two days for my birthday. Definitely not long enough for this beautiful place. I have no hesitation in recommending this 5 star B and B. Many thanks Helen and Gary. Hopefully we will return in... Read full review
- Y8152AHjonathantTrip Type:CouplesWonderfulWednesday, 16th September 2020The place is stunning perfect for a relaxing break away. Hosts Gary and Helen are very friendly, attentive and offer up a fantastic breakfast! They have thought of absolutely everything from the top... Read full review
- Access Statement
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors - Please see our accessibility guide on our website at www.millstonehousebandb.co.uk
Bookable Product Facilities
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- Ground floor bedrooms available
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Modem point in all bedrooms
- Non smoking rooms available
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Cater for vegetarians
- Serve breakfast
- 1m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- All linens sanitized in high-temperature wash
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless check-in
- Contactless check-out
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Individually wrapped toiletries
- Meal times must be booked
- Online booking only
- Online booking possible
- Open now
- Outside seating
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Room service available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking
- American Express accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Business facilities (eg. Fax/ modem)
- Central heating throughout
- Garden/patio for guests use
- Ironing facilities
- In countryside
- Non smoking establishment
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists
- Special provisions for lone female travellers
- Special provisions for walkers
- Walkers Welcome
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
|Open New Year|
|2020 (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|